Skip to main content

Quebec premier issues vaccine mandate for healthcare workers


Montreal–Quebec Premier Francois Legault says his government will issue a vaccine mandate for healthcare workers who are in regular contact with patients.

Legault says 90% of healthcare workers in the province are already vaccinated but the remaining 10% pose a risk to patients.

The mandate will apply to any healthcare worker who enters into contact with patients for more than 15 minutes at a time, including nurses and doctors. Legault did not say when the new health order will enter into force.

He says his government will hold a debate in the legislature next week regarding the vaccine mandate for health workers but also on the possibility of requiring vaccination for other public sector employees.

Read: Ontario pauses reopening, issues vaccine policy for some workers as Delta spreads

The premier is also announcing that mask-wearing will be mandatory in common areas and inside classrooms in junior colleges and universities.

He says the Health Department is still considering whether to impose a mask-wearing order inside classrooms for primary and secondary schools.

This ad will auto-close in 10 seconds